Saturday, December 29, 2007

Mix-CD Catch Up - November

Another one that got created on time, just never posted.


1. The Redwalls - Modern Diet. Another great (and local) band discovered via Sound Opinions. They make about as good use of their Beatles influences as anyone around.


2. Iron & Wine - Resurrection Fern. One of my favorite songs this year. You have to be quiet and listen. Shhh!


3. The Mountain Goats - The Best Ever Death Metal Band In Denton. Overheard coming out of a recent Mountain Goats show - "It's about a death metal band in Denver who couldn't settle on a name, and they finally decided on 'Hail Satan'". Nice try...


4. The Choir - Nobody Gets a Smooth Ride. Yep.


5. Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive - Jon Rauhouse with Kelly Hogan. Oh Kelly Hogan where art thou? 2 superb albums then nothing for years except many appearances on compilations and other people's albums, such as this one.


6. Nothing Painted Blue - Houseguest. I know nothing about this band except Mountain Goats covered this song in concert and John turned it into an incredibly intense, yet still cleverly humorous, experience. This original version is pretty good too.


7. Moonshine Willy - You're The Reason Our Kids Are Ugly. How did I fail to pay attention to this band for so long?


8. The Redwalls - Game of Love. Definitely my favorite song right now. Maybe my favorite of the year.


9. Maria McKee - I'm Gonna Soothe You. Kind of rediscovered this album lately. She's been a bit of a chameleon throughout her career and this one is a pretty amazing display of her soulful side. Great production. On the surface this song sounds like a nice pledge of friendship...upon closer listen it turns out to be a deliciously menacing offer of a very specific kind of soothing to a friend's significant other.

10. Mountain Goats - Hast Thou Considered the Tetrapod. Another one that grabbed me in concert recently, though I'd heard it before. Another tale of his horrible stepfather.

11. Jens Lekman - The Opposite of Hallelujah. One problem with doing these write-ups so long after I burned the CD is that had I written earlier, I may have waxed rhapsodic about this tune. After repeated listens though, my opinion of it has come down considerably. I need to listen to the album as a whole to see how I feel about it.

12. Magic Numbers - Most of the Time. From their newer one...another nice soulful duet.

13. Arcade Fire - Intervention. I picked up this song long ago, but it took me forever to finally get the album. I'm still not completely sold on the album, but this song is amazing, particularly for anyone who's ever worked at a church. "Working for the church while your life falls apart. Singing hallelujah with the fear in your heart...". And how.

No comments: