Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Guy Clark, Joe Ely, John Hiatt, and Lyle Lovett at the Chicago Theatre, Jan. 19th, 2007

I'm way overdue on this one, but here goes -

I had a wierd experience last fall - Unaware of any future tour plans, one day the thought actually went through my head "I really wish those guys (Clark, Ely, etc..) would come to Chicago. The next day I found out that they were. So using a very old Ticketmaster gift certificate, we secured the cheapest seats at the Chicago Theatre.

I have no complaints about the cheap seats at the Chicago Theatre. The only other time I'd been in there, we had 2nd row seats, and this time I felt I actually got to see more of this gorgeous hall. We were in the last balcony, but we were center, and could see perfectly well.

I've listened to alot of bootlegs of these shows, so there weren't a lot of surprises. Four guys on stage with guitars, taking turns singing their songs. Participation on each other's songs was minimal. Stage banter was also minimal, though they weren't completley deadpan. They were all great and all did songs I was hoping to hear.

My best recollection of a setlist (by artist, not order of performance) -

Guy Clark - The Cape, Things That Work, Out in the Parking Lot, Walking Man, Magdalene, She Ain't Goin' Nowhere
Joe Ely - Me and Billy the Kid, Are You Listenin' Lucky (I may be wrong on this one), Silver City, I'm Gonna Strangle You Shorty, All Just To Get To You, One more I don't know the name of
John Hiatt - Memphis in the Meantime, Cry Love, Crossing Muddy Waters, Wintertime Blues, Drive South, One more I don't know the name of
Lyle Lovett - North Dakota, Fiona, Step Inside This House, It's All Downhill From Here? (New One?), More Pretty Girls Than One, and on that was kind of dark and brooding that I didn't recognize at all
All - White Freightliner Blues (Townes Van Zandt), and one other I'm totally blanking on

No comments: